Hello guys and girls !
I’m actually working for a company that use Algolia as a multi-environments approach.
Just to explain you, we have got 3 envs (dev, demo, production).
Our dev and demo environments doesn’t need a paid plan, because the amount of requests/entries/etc are not so big and less than 10000/months.
Our production environment needs a paid plan obviously.
This is why we need 3 envs in Algolia. But it can be painful to maintain those 3 envs, especially when we need to do some changes in our algolias settings/indices. There is no automatic replication of settings, etc…
So to help us doing such actions on our 3 envs, I created Algolia Extended
** (http://algoliaextended.com/) .
This little web app, coded in nodejs with algolia sdk, could help you to perform some tasks.
What you can do ?
- Copy a full/partial environment (settings + datas, just settings or just datas) into an other one.
- Clear an environment. It will just destroy all indices in it.
- Export an environment into a .json file. You can decide to export full env, just settings or just datas.
What’s next ?
- Put all the code on a public github, to assert full transparency.
- Add an ssl to the website.
- Do an Import feature, that will take a json generated via Export feature.
- Work with collaborateurs on github, to fix issues, improve the project, etc…
- Maybe some new incoming ideas, everytime to help manage this type of configuration for algolia.
Be aware that
- For the moment, I installed google analytics on it, just to know which feature is more used than the others. I think i will removed it soon.
- I really, really, really don’t care about your API KEYS, but this project need Admin API KEYS to perform some tasks as manage indices, copy settings, etc… Be sure that the project doesn’t collect it. The fact that i will put the source code on github is an act of trust.
- I contacted Algolia, and they know that the website exists.
- Yeah, this website/project doesn’t intent to replace Algolia, just extends it with some cool features for multi-envs.
That’s all for now…
So let me know if you think the idea is good, if you want to use it, if you find a bug, if you have some good improvments for this, etc… I’m open to all suggestions and feedbacks.
You can see all of it here http://algoliaextended.com/ !
I think i’m not the only in this case, so this project can be good to help other companies that has got 1, 2, 3, … X environments, for the same app.
Thanks for reading ! And good coding with Algolia.