Running a multi store Magento 2 with Algolia search, and recently one of our store’s categories completely stopped disappeared. Checking the dashboard, the categories index is empty. The strange thing is two of our stores share their list of categories and the other store is fine.
We have tried:
- Checked all the categories show on website
- Let the queue run overnight with no change.
- Reindexed via Magento dashboard
- Reindexed via CLI
- Disable queue and forced reindex on all Algolia indices.
- Ensured that “use defaults” is checked in extension settings.
When I check the logs for that index, I don’t see any update or other sync operations, it seems to have had the settings pushed at some stage, but nothing else.