Clarifications about indexing operations on Shopify

We received through email multiple questions about our indexing operations, especially with Shopify.
Here are some clarifications.

Are Search operations counted towards my quota?

No they aren’t. There’s a limit on the amount of Queries Per Second that you can send.
See the pricing page to know the value of your plan.
However, there’s no limit in the amount of search queries you can send during a month.

Right now, I’ve added 7 sample products.
When I click on Reindex, my “Indexing Operations” increase by 27 instead of 7
Why?

There are multiple reasons for an higher number than your amount of products:

• We ensure your index exists at the beginning of your reindexing : 1 operation
    => if it existed, we send your products to a temporary index to avoid mixing old and new products
  • We then save your products, but we’re not storing products, we’re storing variants:
    1 operation / variant (and also 1 record / variant)
  • At the end of the reindexing, if we were sending data to a temporary index, we copy:
    • the settings of your live index to the temporary one: 1 operation
    • the synonyms of your live index to the temporary one : 1 operation / 1000 synonyms
    • the query rules of your live index to the temporary one : 1 operation

If I add or update a single product, do we need to re-index all products or can we add/update index for just one product?

You don’t need to click Reindex when you add or update a product.
Indeed, if Real-time indexing is checked in the Indexing tab of the app, we’re using Shopify webhooks to stay up to data.
On any variant update though, we receive a product update webhook, so we’ll send 1 operation per variant of the product instead of 1 for the speicific variant updated.

How do I know how many operations I’ll be consuming?

We recommend you to use our Free trial to see how many operations you’ve been consuming after a week.
You don’t need to have us live in your store to see how many indexing operations we consume, so you can simply install and configure the app and let it run in the background for a few days.