Different logical AND/OR facet filter combinations

Hi, I am managing the docsearch configuration for https://docs.contao.org/.

The Contao documentation consists of two parts:

• A developer documentation under docs.contao.org/dev/
  • A manual under docs.contao.org/manual/

The manual is split up into two languages:

• English: docs.contao.org/manual/en/
  • German: docs.contao.org/manual/de/

The goal is to show search results from both the manual and the developer documentation. However:

• On docs.contao.org/dev/ it should show search results from developer documentation & the English manual.
  • On docs.contao.org/manual/en/ it should show search results from developer documentation & the English manual.
  • On docs.contao.org/manual/de/ it should show search results from the developer documentation & the German manual.

For this purpose I would introduce a new attribute called type and add

<meta name="docsearch:type" content="…">

to the page. So on docs.contao.org/dev/ and docs.contao.org/manual/en/ the filter logic should be:

type:dev OR (type:manual AND language:en)

On docs.contao.org/manual/de/ the filter logic should be:

type:dev OR (type:manual AND language:de)

However the facetFilters do not seem to allow such a combination. It would only allow

(type:dev OR type:manual) AND language:de

for example, and that would be wrong, since there is no German version of the developer documentation.

Do I need to introduce a separate attribute that already integrates the language, so I can do

type:dev OR type:manual_de
type:dev OR type:manual_en

? Or am I missing something?

Hi @fritzmg ,

There is actually no possibility to create a disjunction of conjunctive filter groups (OR of ANDs) due to engine performance requirements.
Creation of an attribute integrating the type and the language is a good workaround.

Alright, thank you :slight_smile: