Excluding Collection from Shopify Index

We have a few specialized collections that aren’t intended to be visible to customers as standalone pages. Ideally we’d like to exclude these collections from the shopify_collections index entirely.

I see there’s a special tag to exclude products and articles, but we’re not seeing any options for excluding collections. Is there a way to configure this in the Shopify app?

If not, what would be the most appropriate way to modify Algolia’s JS theme files for the collection exclusion?

Thanks!

This one would be hard to handle. Indeed, hiding products is easy, because you can add a tag to them for that and we chose algolia-ignore for this.

Would something like adding [hidden] in the collection name work for you?

Hi Jerska

Thanks for the reply. I’m not sure what adding [hidden] to the collection name is supposed to do? When I do this it doesn’t actually remove anything from indexing/search.

We can certainly add [hidden] to the collection name, it just doesn’t seem to be working.

If I manually delete the collection from the index, will the [hidden] prevent it from being reindexed?

There nothing right now using this specific string.
I was just asking if you’d be OK adding this text to every collection you want to hide?
It seems like the answer is yes. :slight_smile:

Then I can start thinking about implementing something.

I see, thank you. How long do you think it would take you to implement/deploy the special [hidden] flag?

Let’s say a few days. Please ping me tomorrow if I haven’t updated you then. :slight_smile:

Actually, I’ve just though of something else that doesn’t need any code change.
Can you simply set the collection’s visibility to hidden?

Like in this screenshot:

We’ve considered this, but unfortunately removing visibility also removes access to that collection in Liquid. We need to retain access to the collection in Liquid.

Hi Jerska! You asked me to ping you so here I am. Have there been any further developments on this?