eXist-db Indexer for Algolia

I’m happy to announce the release of the eXist Indexer for Algolia — a plugin for eXist-db, a native XML database, which uses eXist’s internal mechanisms to configure, create, upload and incrementally sync local indexes with Algolia’s cloud services.

Once you configure the initial index, the integration is completely seamless. So anytime you reindex your XML documents in eXist, the changes will be synced with Algolia.

All best,
Toma

2 Likes

Thanks for posting @ttasovac!

:thumbsup: on the extensive docs for the plugin.

Thanks @ttasovac !

I used the eXist database in a previous life (almost 10 years ago!). It’s really useful if you are dealing with lots of XML data that you want to manipulate and query precisely (compared, say, to an “XML layer” bolted on top of a SQL database). XML may have gone a bit out of fashion to represent structured data (JSON is usually preferred nowadays), but for textual data it’s still the way to go IMHO.

1 Like

oh, but who wants to be a slave to the latest fashion? :slight_smile:

I’m kidding, of course, I understand what you mean. In my academic field (Digital Humanities), where we deal with, for instance, preparing, querying and visualizing annotated editions of literary texts and where we rely on de facto community standards such as Text Encoding Initiative (TEI), XML is still very much alive and kicking…

All best,
Toma

1 Like