Grantmakers.io - An open source project

It was suggested the Algolia community might be interested in an open source project we’re wrapping up, Grantmakers.io (link) (code).

It leverages Algolia, Jekyll, and Github Pages and is completely server-less. It’s a simple demonstration project to show how open source technology + microservices like Algolia can be leveraged to minize the cost of hosting and sharing philanthropic data.

Feedback, critiques, and thoughts are most welcome!

Thanks for posting @chad! I was about to ask if you could sort by :money_with_wings: and then I realized that’s already being done :slight_smile:

This search rocks. The rich, contextual information in the snippets is great for usability. I can stay in the search bar and still see all of the information I’m looking for. Big H/T to you and your team!

One question for you - I see that you’ve gone with the detailed result view by default vs. summary. What was the reasoning there?

Really appreciate the kind words. To give credit where credit is due, the astute viewer will notice the bulk of the Hogan.js magic was taken directly from the Algolia Instant Search demo. We just put on a new skin :slight_smile:. Kudos to kokliKo who appears to have done most of the heavy lifting.

The detail vs summary view decision came down to project goals vs end user needs. The project’s main goal is to demonstrate to incumbent data providers and philanthropy insiders a new way of thinking about search (i.e. hosted microservices vs homegrown solutions). End-users will likely prefer the summary view, and we may switch to that in the future, but for now we’re focused on showing off Algolia’s capabilities to insiders and believe the detail view does the best job at that. Presenting 67,000 results with rich, contextual information in 1-2ms is simply insane!

@nicolas.baissas has been known to do some heavy lifting from time to time :wink: Glad you were able to make use of the resources in the demo.

Even as the non-philanthropy insider I found the detail view very useful, it proves you can really inform the user without making them leave the search results. The icons and data visualization components add a lot of context without making me feel fatigued because I have to read a lot of text, so I really like that. :thumbsup:

It’s great to see other people moving the microservices/serverless conversation forward around search. @pixelastic and @alex gave a live-coding talk about instant search at ServerlessConf London a few months ago. It’s one area we’re keeping our eye on.

This is really great! I am also involved with a very similar open-source project of building a database/library using the exact same technologies (Algolia, Jekyll, GitHub Pages, and Mapbox). It’s called DIYbiosphere (website, code). It is still at a very rough stage, so it’s great we can see a successfully implemented project with the same set-up!

Thanks so much for posting @sab.gaby…awesome work! Really love the “Edit this Page on Github” buttons and your Travis setup. Both are on our medium-term roadmap so really appreciate the inspiration!

Nice! I like how you can use filters and facets to refine the search. I’ll share this project with some people who are working in nonprofits and could really use a search like this.

In case anyone is interested, I finally got around to writing up why Algolia (and Jekyll and Github Pages) were a great fit for the Grantmakers.io project:

Love the article @chad, it made the rounds in our team this morning to much appreciation. Amazing things can be accomplished with a few hours, an API and a cortado.