Implement algolia search in jekyll documentation theme

I would like to get help in how to implement the algolia search in thistheme that I clone.
I found this article but it is for posts in the site. I would like to get help to be able to search in the entire site. Thank you in advance

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us! You can checkout our Algolia Jekyll repo and follow the README to get started. By default, the plugin should index all pages.

If you’re having errors or issues, please let u know by sending us the error stack.

Thanks!

Thank you for answering. Yes that is already implemented. The pages are all indexed :slightly_smiling_face:

Right now I would like to know how to implement it, how do I implement the search field and show the results. That is my question

Hello,

There is a pretty detailed tutorial on how you could do that here: Algolia for Jekyll | Add fast and relevant search to your Jekyll site It uses a blog example but it could work for any kind of pages (as long as they are indexed by the plugin).

As Jekyll can use many different themes, I couldn’t make it work out-of-the-box for any themes out there as they are all very different.

Let me know if there is a specific part of the tutorial that is giving you trouble and I’ll try my best to help you go through it.

Cheers,

Thank you so much for answering :slight_smile:
You are right. I make it work for the pages as well on my site.
But I would like to display the results on the same searchbox field. Like the search funcionality that jekyll docs have.Jekyll Docs
Do you have any guide in how to implement that? Thank you!

Ah I see.

The official Jekyll website is not using the jekyll-algolia plugin. They are using another Algolia product called DocSearch: it’s a crawler that will scan all live pages of a website, extract its content and push it to Algolia. It’s completely free (as long as your website is a documentation website, we don’t offer it to blogs), and comes with a JavaScript library to include in your page that contains the dropdown menu you see.

It seems that your theme is a documentation theme, so I guess you’re building a documentation website :slight_smile: If that’s correct, you only have to apply here with the url of your live website and we’ll get back to you with the snippet of JavaScript you’ll need to add to your website. If you go this route, you won’t even need the jekyll-algolia plugin :slight_smile:

Hope that helps,

Thank you for your answer :slight_smile:

I already applied to that and they came back to me saying that the site is not public… and yes it would be just for the developers at H&M :frowning: I would like to know if they can make an exception sending me the snippet of JavaScript that I will need to add it to my website. That would be awesome and helpful

Hi pixelastic, I hope you are doing very well :slight_smile:

I’m using this documentation theme at this site
I think it would be amazing if you could implement algolia search on that amazing theme. That theme with the algolia search it is a very good combination. It would be a very good way to promote algolia search as well :slight_smile:

If you don’t think so, could you please guide me how to implement it and I can do it. Right I did something as you can see, but it is not correctly implement it. Your help would be very helpful. Thank you :slight_smile:

Hi pixelastic,

Sorry to insist, but it would be amazing if the algolia search is implemented in this theme. :slight_smile: