Integrating Algolia Search into a Rails App

Hi All,

I am Janice K.N. Smith, in my day job as a software engineer, I got to use Algolia and I really liked it.

I wanted to try to get it going on a little test project with the minimum set up - and it worked great!

I just wrote a medium article on Integrating Algolia Search into a Rails App.

My write up uses a little scaffolded rails app and outlines how to use the algoliasearch-rails gem to import data to an algolia index.

I link the code at the end of the article, and over all I felt like it was really easy to get up and running!

3 Likes

Hey Janice,

thank you for sharing that, very valuable for the Rails community!

Regarding your code, you can eventually remove a few lines/options that are redundant with what the gem is already doing:

• no need to specify the “:id” option, by default it uses the ActiveRecord/MongoID id
  • you can specify the index name, but if you don’t the gem will also choose one based on the model class name
  • since the indexing is automatically done at each save, you might don’t need those extra indexing tasks in the rake file

Happy coding!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing @janice.k.n.smith! As someone who likes plants and eats plants I think I would find a plant search quite useful. If you do get around to making a front end I’d be happy to test it out :slight_smile:

:seedling: :herb: :leaves:

Thanks for info! @sylvain, I didn’t realize that that the indexing is done after each save, that is really cool.

@dzello thanks! yeah - I need to make some time for a front end, the data set I found is pretty neat. When I do get to set up a front end, I will update here!

2 Likes