Is there a way to search results by combining two inquiries?

Hi,

I just installed the Algolia Wordpress plugin and love the interface. I think I’m trying to use it on a much simpler level than most of what I’ve seen on here. I’m not using it to manage a store or anything like that–just a database of information that I want to be searchable.

Is there a way I can use the plugin to match results from two different inquiries. So say I had Users and Categories and I wanted to return results that showed only posts by a User from a particular Category. Is there a way to do this?

Right now I’m only able to search by EITHER Category or User.

Thanks!

Hey @kev, thank you for the nice words,

I think that what you are trying to do is what we solve with faceting.

By default, every index containing posts will come with faceting configured on categories & users.

That way you can actually “facet” on those and obtain the expected results.

Does that make sense?

It makes sense but how do I go about using “Faceting” in the search box? Because right now it will not allow me to put in a User and a Category. (I’m using the Wordpress plugin by the way, not the full on program)

In the WordPress plugin, we provide 2 main features:

1. the autocomplete dropdown (which I think you are talking about)
  2. the instantsearch page

Could you tell us for what search experience you are trying to customize the facets?
Could you maybe describe the steps the user will need to follow, or do a mockup?

First, let me say I’m incredibly impressed at the detailed responses you guys give to a “non paying” customer–at least for right now. If you guys have developers/programmers on your team that do this type of work for customers, I’d be glad to pay them for their expertise in helping me set this up.

But to answer your question, I think I’m trying to use both features. I have a library of quotes by different authors about different subjects. I want my user to be able to search my site for those quotes using any combination of author/subject/keyword. So sometimes they may just search by the author but other times they may want to do a combined search of an author and subject.

Once they are on the search results page, they may want to modify their search using what I’m assuming are the facets on the instant results page?

Also, I have installed the templates folder and renamed it “Algolia” in my themes folder but nothing has changed about the way the search results are displayed. Am I missing a step somewhere?

Bump :grinning:

Just checking to see there is any follow up to this. I’m really hoping algolia is gonna be the solution for me.