We’d like to use geo search to improve our results ranking, but I’m having a bit of trouble figuring out how to express our ranking model in Algolia.
Our users are searching over product and service “vendors” across the country, and we believe that they’d prefer to see results with the following approximate priority:
- Vendors with the “local sales” tag within about 100 miles
- Vendors with the “state sales” tag within their current US state or any immediately neighboring state
- Vendors with the “national sales” tag (no geo required)
- Vendors with the “state sales” tag anywhere else in the country
- All remaining vendors (e.g. those unknown or without tags)
What this amounts to, in plain language, is an answer to the question, “Will this vendor sell me stuff?”
As far as I can reason, this requires making multiple geo queries with different ranges or polygons, and I haven’t figured out quite how that would work in Algolia.
Can you advise on an approach here? We have some amount of flex in our requirements, so suggestions that would accomplish even most of what we want are helpful.