Synonyms + typos

Hello,
I’m new to Algolia and we just set it up on our helpcenter.
I have the impression typos doesn’t work on synonyms. Did I miss something?

Cheers,

1 Like

Hello Michael,

Thanks for reaching out!

Yes indeed we do not support typo-tolerance on synonyms because it would introduce too much noise in the results. Doing so would most probably make the results less relevant.

One solution to consider is adding the synonym directly in the record to be able to match it with a typo.

For example you could go from this:

{
  "title": "Example one"
}

To this:

{
  "title": [
    "Example one",
    "Synonym one"
  ]
}

Here is a blog post about how we handle synonyms: https://blog.algolia.com/inside-the-engine-part-6-handling-synonyms-the-right-way/

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

1 Like

Hey Julien,
Thanks for the reply.
I guess we’ll find a workaround.

Great article BTW.

Cheers,

Michael,

Glad you liked the article :slight_smile:

Please let me know what solution you decided to go for, I’d be glad to have your feedback and know how it is working for you.

Thanks!

Our Customer Experience PM is still doing a lot of tests based on the data we have but we’re already really happy with the results with the naive implementation.

Really nice implementation indeed!

One suggestion: did you guys considered adding highlighting of the matching words in the results? It’s a really easy way to improve the user experience since each result explicitly shows why it is appearing.

Great job anyway, looking forward to the future updates :blue_car: :wink:

One suggestion: did you guys considered adding highlighting of the matching words in the results?

Yes we did and tried it out but what we show is not exactly what we index (complete markdown article vs text representation limited to 250 characters) and there was a few corner cases. So we decided against it until we have a better implementation.

Great job anyway, looking forward to the future updates :blue_car: :wink:

Thanks!