Trouble with basic installation

I have installed the Magento plugin, setup an Algolia account, entered the details into the Magento plugin admin, but I can’t get any records to show up in search results.

The Algolia admin panel shows a bunch of ‘indices’ have been created for the store but they all have no records in them.

Is there some other setup I have missed? I have been trying to get this working for over a month with no luck, it seems so complicated compared to our current 3rd party search which was easy to set up.
I want to give Algolia a try because I like the idea of full-page live search results as you type.

1 Like

Hey @scott,

I’m sorry to hear you’re having issues.

Algolia indices are create immediately when you save Algolia configuration in Magento - so the moment you set up your Algolia credentials in Algolia, the inidices were created.
But in order to index some products there, you’ll need to reindex your data. That you can from your Magento dashboard when you navigate to System > Index Management.
On this page you should see a table with indexers:

What you need to do is to hit Reindex button next to Algolia indices. To index products, categories and pages just reindex the first three Algolia indices.
When you do it, your data will be synchronized with Algolia and your products will come up in a search.

More information about getting started and about indexing your can find in the extension’s documentation:

Let me know if it works for you. And if you’ll run into any troubles, don’t hesitate to reply here. I’ll be happy to help.

1 Like

Thanks
Yes I have tried that many times over the past few weeks but with no luck.

If I save the setting in Magento Admin:
Indexing Queue / Cron / Queue Enabled to YES and NO

In the YES mode the reindexing passes OK but the description for the option specifically states:
“If enabled, all indexing operations will be done asynchronously using the CRON mechanism.”
I translate to mean that the manual indexing I just performed had no effect because of the word “all”

If I set this option to NO and try reindexing, the reindex process (Algolia Search Products) fails with the message:
“There was a problem with reindexing process.”

The standard Magento reindexing for “Catalog Search Index” also fails while this Algolia setting is set to “NO”

Hello @scott,

thanks for the update.

In the YES mode the reindexing passes OK but the description for the option specifically states:
“If enabled, all indexing operations will be done asynchronously using the CRON mechanism.”
I translate to mean that the manual indexing I just performed had no effect because of the word “all”

Yes, you’re completely right. If you reindex with the Indexing queue enabled, the reindex will have no direct effect on Algolia indices, but it generates an indexing jobs to algoliasearch_queue database table. To process those jobs, you’ll need to set up a cron job, which will process the jobs regularly. Processing those jobs will have direct impact in Algolia as products will get actually indexed. More information about indexing queue your can find in the documentation.

If I set this option to NO and try reindexing, the reindex process (Algolia Search Products) fails with the message: “There was a problem with reindexing process.”

Can you investigate your Magento’s error and exception logs if there are any reindexing-related errors/exceptions logged?
It looks like you have problems with time or memory limit of PHP. I’d recommend you to enabled indexing queue and index with the cron job described higher.

Let me know how it goes.

Hi

Thanks for the advice.
I cleared the log files so I could see any new entries, then tried the re-indexing and it created database records in the Algolia control panel and started working without changing any settings.
I have no idea why it would start working after so many weeks of trying, I had not changed any settings at all.

I have now implemented the search on our live site and it is working.

I have a couple of other unrelated minor issues which I will open new threads for.

Hi @scott,

thanks for the info. I’m glad you made it work.

Happy searching!