Upgrading to Font Awesome 5

On our website, we use a Font Awesome 5 license. I was wondering if there is a version of Algolia that has this already implemented. This way the FA 4.4 files could be removed and there wouldn’t be the near duplication. It would also allow us to use the different weights that v5 provides.
I know that there is a script that FA supplies to do this upgrade, but I’m weary of the performance impact vs just using both versions.
We are using the Shopify app if this helps at all.

An additional reason this would be helpful is that there is a case on our site where the additional FA CSS added by the app is actually messing with our own v5. I’m sure we can forcibly kick this back into place, but it would be much nicer to have it just not happen.
image vs image

Thank you for any info!

HI Veronica,

I do understand your specific need behind not loading too much dependencies. Unfortunately, we do not have a supported version of Algolia Search plugin for Shopify with Font Awesome 5.

​If I read the migration guide properly, FA authors did keep the fa prefix, so it seems you could remove the FA 4.4 dependencies and rely on FA 5 only. You will have to adapt your template in order to avoid loading the CSS of FA 4.4.

​Let me know if that helps.

Thank you for your reply.
And that seems rather accurate actually.

An additional issue we have, and this is where the Shopify tag comes into play so this may not be your specific area of expertise, is that we use Slate for handling our theme. Therefore, every time I tell my IDE to run Slate for the day, the Algolia files that are injected by the Shopify app are lost. Is there a place I can get a Slate version of those files? I can go into Shopify’s HTML editor and copy them out, but I can’t be 100% sure where they go in the Slate hierarchy.

Essentially, is there someone versed enough in this topic to help guide me here?

Luckily I was able to rather easily override that one CSS issue above, so we can get an initial Algolia implementation into the site.

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out! I am Alex, developer at Algolia working on Shopify.

I just had a quick look at the getting started of the Slate project. It sounds that one of the note in the Setting SLATE_THEME_ID part describe the problem you’re talking about :

Note: When you deploy your theme, Slate will overwrite the existing remote 
code associated with the SLATE_THEME_ID you defined with your local
project’s code, which you may not want. To avoid this, navigate to
https://{store-name}.myshopify.com/admin/themes and duplicate an existing
theme ID to work from.

From what I can understand you should make a copy of your theme on Shopify to prevent the deletion of the code. Does that help ?

Thanks,

Alexandre