Visibility of facet filters between Vue InstaSearch and InstaSearch.js 2.10.4

I’m reworking a website that uses the older InstaSearch.js Algolia client to the new Vue InstaSearch using the Vue widgets. I have facet filters on the left (eg. hierarchicalMenu widgets) and the results on the right. Suppose I have two facets to filter by: brands and categories.

When clicking the filters, they adapt accordingly to which results are loaded. Eg. when clicking a particular brand, the categories facet items are limited to only those that apply to the shown results. If I click on a category, same happens to the brands. The facet that I clicked on however, doesn’t get filtered, so I keep seeing all brands after choosing a particular brand. The clicked one just gets highlighted. So far so great, that is what I expect.

But things change when I want to have some more control. Every result/hit shows a little logo of their brand. If the user clicks on it, I want Algolia to only show me the results for that brand, as if I would have clicked the brand facet item on the left.

In the old InstaSearch.js client I believe this code makes it work:

searchParameters.hierarchicalFacetsRefinements = {};
searchParameters.hierarchicalFacetsRefinements['brandCategory.lvl0'] = [brand.substr(0, 1) + " > " + brand];
search.helper.setQueryParameter('hierarchicalFacetsRefinements', searchParameters.hierarchicalFacetsRefinements).search();

Instead, now I use the ais-configure widget which I pass a filters attribute with this string as part of it:

`brand.category.lvl1:'${this.brandFilter.substr(0, 1).toUpperCase()} > ${this.brandFilter}'`

I would think it would react the same and it kind of does, it filters the correct products BUT, and this is the problem, it adapts all facets according to what is matched with the results. So I only get to see the categories that are linked to the products and only the specific brand. The other facet options are gone.
And on top of that, it seems like there’s no refinement triggered as my ais-clear-refinements widget is not shown.

Is this a new behaviour? Or am I doing something wrong?

I also tried doing the same with initialUiState and facet-filters attributes but I’m getting the same results.