WordPress Plugin Autocomplete vs. Search Results Page

The search results on the WordPress search page seem to not match the configuration on Autocomplete; it seems to require “All Posts” (wp_searchable_posts) have an index? Is that correct? We want more control over the results on the actual search page. For example, we want Shows to be first, Guides to be second, the Tag and Categories (which we’d really like to merge for search) and the pages and finally stories. But none of the other post types. Mostly we want the same as our autocomplete configuration. See attached autocomplete config (which does not show about 10 other post types we did not select for autocomplete.)

UGH: I just realized I created a new account for this one post.

Can an admin please assign this post to user mikeschinkel and then delete this user account mikeschinkel-dup?

Hi @mikeschinkel-dup,

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

For now, the search page is only based on posts, and the post types can not be customized from the admin interface.

I opened an issue to our repository so that we can add a filter to easily change the registered post types: https://github.com/algolia/algoliasearch-wordpress/issues/649

As a second step we could also maybe offer an admin UI in the same flavor as the one for the autocomplete.

There is currently no easy way of merging results in the autocomplete.

Do do so, you would have to manually send your records to Algolia in a format that would suit your UX expectations.

Regarding the merging of categories/tags/posts for the dedicated search results page, this is also not easy to realize given that InstantSearch.js generally expects you to have a unique “type of content” that you can filter on.

Merging different types of content means you would need to manually define a common scheme between those different types of content.

It looks like you are really try to adapt the plugin to your use case which is awesome. That being said, the plugin is intended more as of a plug & play extension.
Maybe you should consider extracting the essence of the plugin and integrated a custom version of the plugin.

I’d gladly continue this discussion!

As a second step we could also maybe offer an admin UI in the same flavor as the one for the autocomplete.

Yes. Or better, modify the existing Autocomplete page to have options for both?

BTW, the AutoComplete page is very confusing. I still do not understand what “Push Settings” does, nor how it compares to the “Save” button. Reindex at least makes sense. Maybe some help text on that page to better describe how it works? And/or consider different button names that might be clearer?

Regarding the merging of categories/tags/posts for the dedicated search results page, this is also not easy to realize given that InstantSearch.js generally expects you to have a unique “type of content” that you can filter on.

Minimally you could allow categories and tags and any other taxonomy terms to be merged. Just like you have “All Posts” you could have “All Terms.” And then allow for ways to limit the taxonomies included. I would be happy with a hook for that.

Frankly, I would be happiest if you could allow me to override the entire configuration page and just hardcode the configuration so I can commit to version control as well as continuous integration testing and deployment.

Maybe you should consider extracting the essence of the plugin and integrated a custom version of the plugin.

We did not have the time budgeted for this. Algolia was an 11th hour switch from Google Custom Search, and other than these issues we are really glad we switched. I can envision wanting to use this for other clients whenever possible.

What would be great would be if, instead of proposing I fork and modify your plugin if we could collectively explore ways to make your plugin extensible via hooks so that your plugin is always the base people start from?

1 Like

@mikeschinkel-dup I’m just seeing the one account for you now, did you delete the other one? If so you should be able to rename this one back to the version without dup - want to give that a try? Happy to help get this sorted out for you and appreciate you giving feedback on here.

No, there should be two. mikeschinkel-dup and mikeschinkel. One is a gmail with same name and the other is my first name at newclarity.net.

Hmm I don’t see mikeschinkel, even as an admin. This would be the link to the profile, which is a 404: https://discourse.algolia.com/u/mikeschinkel. Any chance the username was different?

If not, I’m betting one of my colleagues @rayrutjes or @jason.harris might have deleted it and are waiting to rename your account, which I suspect might have been the easier path than re-associating the post. I’ll wait to hear from one of them.

I had other posts on the other account.

That said, Discourse won’t let me change my login so I can’t even access the other account.

Did you search for both email addresses I mentioned?

Hi there,

For information, I did forget to mention in my first reply that I looked for your other username and did not find it.

Could it be that you actually merged the accounts somehow?